Office 365 Microsoft Office Installation
Indiana Tech has a licensing agreement with Microsoft which now allows all faculty, staff, and students to download and install the latest version of Microsoft Office on up to five employee owned computers or devices. The Office ProPlus license for staff remains active until you leave the university. Students must currently be in a class for the license to remain active. At that point, you’ll be prompted to pay a license fee to Microsoft or stop using Microsoft Office. In addition, Office mobile applications are accessible on Apple iOS, Android, and automatically included with all Windows phones.
- An IndianaTech.edu (faculty/staff) or IndianaTech.net (student) Office 365 account is required.
- Students must currently be in a class, or within 2 weeks of the class beginning, to access/use the software
- Office 2016 can be installed on computers with Windows 7 or higher
- Office 2016 can be installed on computers with Mac OS X 10.8 or higher
- Supported Browsers
- Mac Users: Microsoft has stated that they support access to OWA using Safari with Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or higher.
- Windows Internet Explorer: the current or immediately previous version
- Firefox: the current or immediately previous version
- Google Chrome: the latest version only
- Apple Safari: the latest version only
If you have an earlier version of Microsoft Office installed, you should uninstall that version prior to following these steps.
To install Microsoft Office applications on up to five laptop or desktop computers:
- Use any supported browser (see list above) to go to http://outlook.office365.com/ Note: If you type/tap the URL manually, be sure to use http, not https.
- For your user name, enter in the format of
- Faculty/Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org (do not use your email address)
- Students: email@example.com
- The password is your normal Indiana Tech network password
- In the blue Office 365 toolbar, click the gear icon, then select Office 365 settings.
- On the Office 365 settings window, on the left, click Software.
- On the Software window, on the left, click Office.
- Click Install.
The software will be installed on your computer. Your copy of Office will remain active as long as you maintain your status as a student, staff, or faculty member of Indiana Tech. Once you graduate or leave the university, you will have the opportunity to keep using the software by paying for a license directly from Microsoft.
Use it at least once a month: To keep your free license activated, you need to launch at least one Office application (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) at least once every 30 days on each device.