Blackboard Course Export, Archive and Import
The Difference Between Archive and Export
Creates a downloadable permanent record of a course including all the content and user interactions. When an Archive package is restored, the content of the course AND user data & interactions are restored as well. You can restore archive packages, but they aren’t intended for teaching the course again as all user interactions are restored as well. The course is restored to the state it was in when archived. Archived courses are saved as “.ZIP” files with the following file naming structure: “ArchiveFile_YourCourse_ID.zip”.
- Archive should be used to restore a course, including all user information and actions, to the state it was prior to any changes being made—or to retrieve student grades or Discussion Board posts.
Creates a downloadable package of the course content that can later be imported and used to teach another course with the same content. It is important to note that “Export Course” does not include any user interactions with the course — it only includes content and tools. Export packages are downloaded as compressed “.ZIP” files and are imported in the same format. They are saved with the following file naming structure: “ExportFile_YourCourseID.zip”.
- Export should be used to copy the course for use in a future semester (as it doesn’t include student grades).
Export or Archive an Existing Course
- Go to the course from which content should be exported.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Packages and Utilities section and click Export/Archive Course.
- On the Export/Archive Course page, click Export Package or Archive Course on the Action Bar.
- Select the option to “Copy links and include copies of the files in the course default directory”.
- For Export
- In the Select Course Materials section, either click Select All or select the checkboxes for each course area and tool to export.
- Click Submit.
When you submit the Export/Archive Course page, the system begins to create the course package and will send an email upon completion. Once the email is received, download the Archive/Export zip file by going back to the Control Panel > Packages and utilities – > Export/Archive Course page to find the newly created file and download to a location of your preference.
Download a Course Package
When you submit the Export Package or Archive Course page, the system begins to create the course package. When the package is complete, you will receive an email from the system. After you receive the email, you can download the course package.
- Go to the course from which content the content was exported.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Packages and Utilities section and select Export/Archive Course.
- Click the link for the package that you want to download.
- Save the file to an appropriate location.
Import a Course Package
- Go to the course where you would like to import an exported package.
- From the Control Panel, under Packages and Utilities, click Import Package/View Logs.
- Click Import Package.
- Click Browse to search for the course package.
- Click Select All or check the checkboxes for the course materials to include.
- Click Submit.